What can I burn in a smoke control area? | Yeoman Stoves

What can I burn in a smoke control area?

What is a smoke control area?

If you live in an urban area such as a town or city, it is most likely you live in a Smoke Control Area.

Smoke Control Areas were put in place to improve air quality, prohibiting emissions of smoke from domestic burning. In other words, you can only burn authorised smokeless fuels, or if you want to burn wood, it must be on an appliance suitable for use in Smoke Control Areas.

What fuel can I burn?

There is a list of authorised fuels on the DEFRA website so you can check you comply with Smoke Control regulations.

If you want to burn wood, it is very important to buy firewood that has a low moisture content. Wet wood not only creates smoke, but can also damage your stove and flue by creating creosote and tar when burnt.

Dry wood is what you need to burn on your DEFRA Exempt Yeoman stove – if you are worried about buying the right kind, look for the Woodsure Ready to Burn label which certifies the wood you are buying has been dried to a low moisture content.

Do be aware that sometimes logs are left outside in the elements when on sale. You can double-check the moisture content in your firewood by splitting a log and testing using a moisture meter. We recommend that your wood should have a moisture content of 20% or less.

What products can I use?

Yeoman has a range of products that can be used in Smoke Control Areas. Simply look for products that are DEFRA Exempt. Head to this link to some examples of our DEFRA Exempt Yeoman stoves.

Share This